Wednesday 26 September 2012

Saudi Traffic Jam on the Road to Al Hofuf ....

I, with two of my work colleagues began the 350 km road trip from Riyadh to Al Hofuf in the Eastern Province yesterday morning, the driving being shared between Bader, my Saudi colleague and myself, I have become very used to the long road trips accross the vast open empty deserts as you head eaterwards, so we were rather taken when we took the exit to Al Hofuf from the Dammam Road to find ourselves in this Traffic Jam.......... thoughts of Molls Gap and Kerry Sheep came to mind.........

Two seperate groups of Camels were being moved along this highway and as you can see, they were observing a path to the edge of teh roadway, such obviously is their familiarity with this...

Be careful out there......

2 comments:

  1. This is like another planet. I just arrived home in the rain (feeling sorry for myself because I have a flu, or something) I bet they don't get many colds and flus over there.

    We usually only hear about camels and deserts from David Attenborough or the news when there is trouble in the area. It somehow makes it more real hearing about this stuff and more from someone you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerry,

      Thanks for the comment, yes, this was some 2,5 hours into our journey when we took an exit and came accross this herd, very much like the fast paced modern Saudi meeting the traditional Beduion Saudi !- very interesting

      Delete